The firm yet tender texture of barley matches beautifully with tender juicy mushrooms in this make-ahead salad. Packed with protein and flavor, this salad is delicious hot or cold. And the leftovers pack up perfectly for lunch.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pot barley
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil or mint
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms, garlic and parsley for about 8 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in barley and stock; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes for any remaining liquid to absorb. Stir in beans and set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in tomatoes, vinegar and basil until combined before serving.
Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Posted: September 2012