Rainbow coleslaw salad
Makes 6 servings (1.25 L/5 cups)
Plain coleslaw can be boring, so jazz up your repertoire with this variation with plenty of additional vegetables. With a vinegar-base dressing, the crunch of the vegetables come shining through, refreshing the palate.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Half, small cabbage, about 500 g/1 lb
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- Half red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) packed brown sugar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) dry mustard
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) celery seed
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Cut cabbage into pieces that will fit into your food processor tube. While motor is running put cabbage pieces into food processor; chop cabbage to make about 1 L (4 cups). Scrape into large bowl. Add carrots, celery, red pepper and parsley.
- In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, mustard, celery seed and pepper. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
Storage: cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Creamy variation: Stir in 60 mL (1/4 cup) light mayonnaise into the dressing and stir into slaw.
Nutrition information per serving (175 mL / 3/4cup)
- Calories: 65
- Protein: 2 g
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10 g
- Sodium: 45 mg
- Potassium: 313 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.
Posted: August 2011.