Cereal meringue bites
Makes 18 cookies
These cookies are unique in every way. By combining low-fat meringues with high-fibre cereal a taste of goodness is created. Little golden nibbles are perfect for an after dinner treat.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 egg whites
- 1mL (¼ tsp) cream of tartar
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) bran pellets with psyllium
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped dried cranberries or cherries
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) cornstarch or all purpose flour
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in cereal, fruit, cornstarch and vanilla until combined.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 160°C (325°F) oven for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer sticky. Let cool completely. Use small spatula to remove from baking sheet.
Storage: Keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. These do not freeze.
Nutrition information per serving (1 cookie)
- Calories: 29
- Protein: 1 g
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 7 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 30 mg
- Potassium: 47 mg
Recipes developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011
Posted: June 2011