Hamburger and noodle skillet supper
Makes 5 servings
When fresh tomatoes aren’t in season, use cherry tomatoes or a whole 398 mL/14-oz can of tomato sauce or tomatoes. Instead of zucchini or sweet peppers, you can use chopped celery, frozen peas or corn.
- 750 mL (3 cups) egg noodles or 250 mL (1 cup) small pasta (125 g/4 oz)
- 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut in thin 5 cm (2-inch) long strips
- 1 sweet green or red pepper, cubed
- 300 mL (1 1⁄4 cups) sliced mushrooms (125 g/4 oz) (optional)
- 4 tomatoes, cubed
- 125 mL (1⁄2 cup) tomato sauce
- 50 mL (1⁄4 cup) chopped fresh parsley
- 5 mL (1 tsp) each dried basil and oregano
- 1 mL (1⁄4 tsp) or less salt and freshly ground pepper
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat, stirring to break up, for about 5 minutes or until browned; pour off fat.
- Add onion; cook for about 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add zucchini, sweet pepper and mushrooms (if using); cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, basil and oregano; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 294
- Protein: 22 g
- Total fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 72 mg
- Carbohydrate: 29 g
- Fibre: 5 g
- Sodium: 308 mg
- Potassium: 677 mg
From Anne Lindsay’s Lighthearted at Home ©2010
Posted: November 2010