Makes 6 servings
- 500 g (1 lb) extra lean ground beef
- 500 mL (2 cups) thinly sliced celery
- 1 pkg (250 mL/8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 mL (½ tsp) dried thyme leaves
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 500 mL (2 cups) low-fat milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 125 mL (½ cup) fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) slivered almonds
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- In a large non-stick skillet brown beef over medium high heat, stirring constantly to break up meat, for about 8 minutes. Scrape meat into colander set into a bowl and let drain. Spread beef into 8 cup (2 L) lightly sprayed casserole dish.
- Return skillet to medium high heat and add celery, mushrooms, green pepper, onions, thyme and pepper and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until liquid from mushrooms is evaporated. Stir in flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until flour is absorbed. Stir in milk and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring for about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in soy sauce and pour over beef.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, almonds and margarine and sprinkle over vegetable and beef mixture. Bake in centre of 375° F (190° C) oven for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and sides are bubbly.
Nutritional information per serving
- Calories: 254
- Protein: 22 g
- Total fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 44 mg
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sodium: 398 mg
- Potassium: 667 mg
How Foundation dietitians reduced the fat and sodium content in this recipe
- Using a non-stick fry pan saved 2.3 g fat.
- Extra lean ground beef was used and the fat was drained, which saved 7 g fat and 2.8 g saturated fat.
- Low-fat milk, spices and flour were substituted for cream of celery soup and ¼ cup light cream. That reduced the fat content by 2 g.
- The amount of almonds was reduced from ½ cup to 2 tbsp, reducing the fat by 1.7 g.
- Two tablespoons of butter was replaced with 1 tbsp of margarine, reducing the amount of fat by almost 2 g and the saturated fat by almost 2 g.
- Fresh mushrooms were used instead of canned mushrooms, reducing the sodium content by 120 mg.
- Low-fat milk, spices and flour were substituted for cream of celery soup and ¼ cup light cream. That reduced the sodium by 351 mg.
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce was substituted for regular soy sauce, reducing the sodium by 61 mg.
Posted: May 2010