Grilled steak salad with sesame vinaigrette
Makes 3 servings
Steak is a summer favorite and this salad makes it easy to keep portions of red meat in check. It’s an easy summer dinner.
- 6 oz (180 g) strip loin steak
- ½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 red pepper, cut in four and seeded
- 4 green onions, trimmed
- 4 cups (1 L) romaine lettuce, washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 16 snow peas, cut in half
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange juice
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high.
- Sprinkle the steak with the pepper.
- Place the steak, red pepper and green onions on the grill. Grill the steak until desired doneness. Grill the red pepper for 4 to 5 minutes. Grill the onions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place 2 cups (500 mL) of lettuce and 8 snow peas in each of three bowls.
- Thinly slice the steak (discarding any fat) and the red pepper and divide among the three salads.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over the salads. Top with green onions.
Nutritional information per serving
(2 cups/500 mL salad , 2 oz/60 g of steak and 4 tsp/20 mL dressing)
- Calories: 175
- Protein: 13 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 31 mg
- Carbohydrate: 8 g
- Sodium: 64 mg
- Potassium: 528 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation