8 Treasure and Sweet Potato Congee
Makes 8 cups (2 L)
If you like oatmeal but want to try something new, this bowl of congee may be what you're looking for. The sweet potato not only adds natural sweetness, but increases the fibre content, too. Most of these ingredients can be found in Asian grocery stores.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dried lotus seeds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dried red beans
- 1 whole sweet potato (diced)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dried lily buds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) raw peanuts
- 9 (2.5 oz / 75 g) dried dates
- 9 (whole) dried longan (or lychee)
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried mixed grains
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) honey
- 11 cups (2.75 L) water
- Soak red beans in cold water overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Soak lotus seeds in cold water for 3 hours.
- Soak lily buds for an hour.
- Slightly rinse dried mixed grain with cold water before adding to a large pot of hot water.
- Add lotus seed and red bean to the pot. Cook for 45 minutes before adding dates, lily buds, longans, peanut and sweet potato.
- Turn to low heat and allow the congee to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Mix in honey to slightly sweeten congee.
- Serve hot or cold.
Nutritional information per serving(1 cup / 250 mL)
- Calories: 185
- Protein: 4 g
- Total fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 0 g
- Carbohydrate: 39 g
- Sodium: 8 mg
- Potassium: 252 mg
Developed by Sosan Hua, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation