Mango and endive with candied almonds
Makes 4 servings
This recipe is great to take to a friend’s house. Add the candied almonds just before serving.
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- ¼ cup (50 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 head of endive (about 16 leaves)
- 1 mango sliced into 16 pieces
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
To make candied almonds:
- Place a piece of foil on your work surface. Stir sugar and water in a heavy small sauce pan over low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Increase the heat and boil, without stirring until the mixture turns a deep amber colour. You can swirl the pan and brush down the sides with the wet pastry brush. About 6 to 7 minutes.
- Mix in almonds and immediately pour onto the foil, separating the almonds with 2 forks, not your fingers as the almonds are very hot. When the almonds have cooled, chop them with a large knife and set aside.
To make the endive mango pieces:
- Cut off the bottom of the endive and separate the leaves. Wash and dry the leaves and place them on a serving plate.
- Peel the mango and cut into 16 long slices (or as many slices as endive leaves). Place the each mango slice inside an endive leaf. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over each leaf and top with the candied almonds.
Nutritional information per serving
- Calories: 145
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 28 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Potassium: 241 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted February 2008