Breakfast for mummies (Couscous breakfast cereal)
Makes 3 to 4 servings
Traditionally served as a side dish, this pasta is great to try for breakfast, warm or cold. With an added dollop of yogurt on top, this will become your favourite on-the-run breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 1% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped apple
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried cranberries or chopped pitted prunes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon or nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole-wheat couscous
- In saucepan, combine milk, apple, apricots, cranberries and cinnamon and bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the couscous and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until couscous is tender and milk is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve with fresh fruit and yogurt if desired.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 314
- Protein: 11 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 65 g
- Sodium: 71 mg
- Potassium: 596 mg
Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.